Grace Marchese 2018 IHSAA Mental Attitude Winner
(l-r): Jim Marchese, Erin Marchese, Grace Marchese, Farm Bureau representative
Congratulations to Carmel High School varsity tennis player Grace Marchese for being named the 2018 IHSAA Mental Attitude Award winner. Carmel High School will receive a $1000 scholarship in Grace’s name. The award is sponsored by Farm Bureau.
Grace joins an illustrative list of former Mental Attitude Award winners:
1989 Amy Fehsenfeld
2005 Ethan Jaffee
2011 Olivia Tranik
2012 Mikaela Carlson
2014 Bailey Padgett
2016 Lauryn Padgett
The criteria for the Mental Attitude Award is stringent:
- Be a student in grade 12.
- Be nominated by the principal and coach.
- Excel in mental attitude, athletic ability, scholarship and leadership during the four years in high school.
- Be a state finalist participant in the sport nominated.
- Be selected by members of the IHSAA Executive Committee.
- Meet Minimum Academic Requirements of one of the following:
- S.A.T. of 1500 (Verbal, Math & Writing scores only) or
- A.C.T. of 21 or
- Class Rank in top 25%